Welcome to our journey!

Halfway through my 40s (and perhaps my life) I am forced to look at the fact that we just aren't living the life I had envisioned for myself and my family. Everything has become more and more processed, and the food we eat doesn't have much relation to the food that comes out of the ground.
I have decided to change the way our family eats - slowly and simply, and move towards a healthier lifestyle. I don't believe we'll ever all go vegan, but I think the closer we get to that lifestyle, the closer we will be to a healthy one. By finding new and better ways to prepare vegetables and non-meat protien, I hope to turn around our health issues and enter 50 with 50 years left to go! Join us on our ups and downs, our struggles nad successes, as we ADD MORE VEGGIES!

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Last day of the year, first day of our new life...

In the last week, I have been gathering more information on going vegan, learning about how to substiute vegetable protien for animal protien, and figuring out the vegan food pyramid.  None of it is very intuitive, but I think its starting to make sense.
I added a lot of veggies to our fridge this week,and did one last run last night for some whole uncooked grains.  Today is my first full day of trying to add more veggies and less junk to our diet.  Last night we had a healthy dinner of couscous, steamed salmon and sauted carrots.  There were some groans from the junion members fo the family on the couscous, but mostly the food dissapeared. 
One thing I have realized, is that I need to give up my belief, at least for now, that all veggies should be close to their original form.  To transition to a more whole food vegan diet we really need to start by just inserting veggies.  So you will see meat this year, including red meat.  You will see cooked veggies.  You will see cheese.  We are starting slow.  There is coconut milk in the fridge, and tempeh and some steak.  Hopefully what you won't see if a lot of fast food and unidentifiably processed junk. 
This morning, I say goodbye to the 45 year old, 272 pound lethargic sickly me and start a path towards a healthy life.  Watch me as I drag my family along for the ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment